Players can login to the game with their Kongregate account and custom avatar, or use a username of their choice and select one of the seven default images if they're not signed in. Users are then able to race on 12 courses available from the start with four other people.
Players control a bumper car-esque bubble with the objective being to reach the finish first. Completing races awards ranks to each participant that are used for high scores along with displaying each user's completion time and amount of deaths.
Unlike future multiplayer games, courses do not have a minimum rank requirement in order to be played, allowing any user to race in all levels from the start.
As these blocks are not given names in-game, their file's name in the code is used instead.
|Arrow||Pushes racers forward when touched.|
|Block||Basic block that players can sit on.|
|Finish||Marks the end of the race when touched.|
|Death||Briefly kills the player.|
|Invisible||Can not be seen until hit.|
|Sticky||Causes the racer to stick to the block when touched.|
|Shove||Pushes the player in the opposite direction it's touched.|
|Weak||Crumbles away when hit.|
Aside from the first patch, which Jiggmin posted in the game's comment section, all changes are based on user reports as no official changelog was maintained.
- Added quit button during matches.
- Added a 2 minute timeout to kick idling people out of levels.
- Fixed a couple minor bugs.
- New "Push/Pull" level and arrows on the lobby access it.
- Addition of boost blocks.
- New "The Deep" and "Hulk SMASH!" levels.
- New "Mrs. Richards" level.
- Lobby redesigned.
- New zoom out button on the lobby so players can view all levels at once.
- Sound icon moved to the bottom-right corner.
- New quit button design.
- New "Deathville" and "Variety Platter" levels.
Although the game's server had already been down for several months at that point, Jiggmin officially announced on 2015-09-09 that he would be dropping support for Kongregate Racing along with most other multiplayer games besides Platform Racing 2. He stated: "Managing [the games] servers is another time drain. They'll need to be streamlined or removed. I plan to keep PR2 running at least until PR4 is out, though." The announcement also coincided with the launch of his new forum Freegoose.
There have been no fan projects to attempt and revive the game or set up private servers, leaving it unplayable.
- This was the first racing game Jiggmin developed.
- A limitation only allows one group of players to be in a level at a time.
- Matches can contain up to five players, the first of Jiggmin's games to allow more than four and the last until Platform Racing 3.
- Despite shutting down, users can access the nonfunctional lobby by right clicking and pressing "Play" several times, though levels remain unplayable.
- While not listed in-game, the racing theme is titled "Drums" in the code.
- This was the first of Jiggmin's online games to have a rank system, though it doesn't provide in-game benefits.
- Initially exclusive to Kongregate, the game was only added to Jiggmin's website a year and a half after its release.
- ↑ http://www.kongregate.com/games/jiggmin/kongregate-racing/comments?utf8=✓&sort=oldest
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20161227155805/http://freegoo.se/platform-racing-4-and-the-future/
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20070509040030/http://jiggmin.com/
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20090227003452/http://jiggmin.com/play_game.php?title=Kongregate+Racing